Zhe Jiang Homepage
Department of Computer Science
University of Alabama
Email: zjiang(at)cs.ua.edu Phone: (205) 348-5243
Office: Cyber Hall 3054 Mail: Box 870290, Tuscaloosa, AL, 35487
Dr. Jiang joined the faculty in computer science at the University of Alabama in 2016. Before that, he received Ph.D. in computer science from the University of Minnesota, and B.E. in Electrical Engineering and Information Science from the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC).
Data mining, machine learning, deep learning, spatiotemporal data mining, interpretability, interdisciplinary applications in earth science, transportation, public health, etc.
Our lab is looking for outstanding Ph.D. students to join in Fall 2020 or Spring 2021! We also welcome visiting students and scholars. Please click this link.
- [Paper] 6/24/2020: One conference paper was accepted by KDD 2020, one journal paper was accepted by IEEE TKDE and another journal accepted by International Journal of Remote Sensing.
- [Award] 4/30/2020: Dr. Jiang received a one-year grant from US Geological Survey to deploy the group's hidden Markov tree algorithm (published in KDD'18,'19) in real-world flood disaster response platform.
- [Paper] 4/15/2020: A journal paper was published by IEEE Access on spatial structured prediction. link
- [PC] 1/30/2020: Dr. Jiang was invited to serve in the program committee of IJCAI and KDD 2020.
- [Education] 1/24/2020: Dr. Jiang gave a lecture on "Introduction to Machine Learning and AI" to high school students in Alabama School of Fine Arts in Birmingham (one of the top high schools in Alabama).
- [PC] 11/18/2019: Dr. Jiang was invited to serve in the program committee of ICML 2020.
- [Paper] 11/18/2019: A new paper was accepted to AAAI 2020. Congratulations to Arpan and Wenchong!
- [Award] 10/16/2019: Dr. Zhe Jiang received an award (as Co-PI) from Camgian Microsystems Company for AI and Deep Learning research. The award amount is $600K with his share $160K.
- [Source Codes] 9/23/2019: We have released the source codes for KDD 2019 paper in Github. Please follow this link. Special thanks to Arpan for putting things together on Github!
- [Paper] 9/5/2019: Our paper "Mapping Road Safety Features from Streetview Imagery: A Deep Learning Approach" is accepted for publication in the Special Issue on Urban Computing and Smart Cities, ACM Transactions on Data Science.
- [Award] 9/2/2019: Dr. Zhe Jiang received an extended grant as Co-PI from UCAR under the Department of Commerce. The project topic is "Center for Remote Sensing of Snow and Soil Moisture Measurements".
- [Co-chair] 8/10/2019: Dr. Zhe Jiang will serve as the Publicity Co-chair for the ACM SIGSPATIAL Conference 2020 in Beijing, China.
- [Award] 7/30/2019: Dr. Jiang received the NSF Computer and Information Science and Engineering (CISE) Research Initiation Initiative (CRII) award! The project topic is "Disciplinary Knowledge Guided Big Spatial Structured Models for Geoscience Applications".
- [PC] 7/30/2019: Dr. Jiang will serve in the program committee for AAAI 2020.
- [Session Chair] 7/30/2019: Dr. Jiang will serve as the Session Chair of the ACM SIGKDD International Workshop on Urban Computing 2019. Website
- [Education] 7/18/2019: Dr. Jiang and his students organized another Introduction to Data Science session for high school freshman in the LEAP program by UA Early College!
- [Paper] 7/16/2019: Our paper on "Geographical Hidden Markov Tree" was accepted for publication in IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering.
- [Education] 7/13/2019: Dr. Jiang served as a mentor for the AAG-UCGIS Summer School 2019 Reproducible Problem Solving with CyberGIS and Geospatial Data Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC). Link
- [Education] 6/20/2019: Dr. Jiang and his student Arpan hosted a 2-hour "Data Science" seminar at the Alabama Computer Science Summer Camp. The seminar was attended by 30 high school students from different states in the U.S. This is the third consecutive year that we hosted the data science seminar at the Camps. Really enjoyable to interact with high school students and to teach them data science!
- [Award] 6/20/2019: Arpan received the NSF student travel award to attend the ACM SIGKDD 2019 in Anchorage Alaska. Congratulations!
- [Education] 6/13/2019: Dr. Jiang and his students organized a "Spatial Data Science for Mapping" section in the Leaders Exploring Academic Possibilities (LEAP) program, a summer program for rising high school freshmen hosted by UA Early College at The University of Alabama.
- [PC] 6/5/2019: Dr. Jiang will serve as the PC member for ACM SIGSPATIAL 2019 and IEEE ICDM 2019.
- [Paper] 6/5/2019: We have a paper accepted in the UrbanComputing workshop co-organized with KDD 2019. PDF
- [Paper] 5/17/2019: We have a paper accepted in the Research Track of ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD) 2019.
- [Paper] 5/17/2019: Our paper "Spatial Ensemble Learning for Heterogeneous Geographic Data with Class Ambiguity" was accepted to ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST)!
- [Award] 4/4/2019: Arpan received the Outstanding Graduate Research Award in the CS department (one per year)! Congratulations to Arpan!
- [PC] 1/14/2019: Dr. Zhe Jiang will serve in the program committees for SSTD 2019 and KDD 2019.
- [Co-chair] 11/10/2018: Dr. Zhe Jiang will serve as the Publicity Co-chair for the ACM SIGSPATIAL Conference 2019 in Chicago, IL.
- [Paper] 09/14/2018: Our paper "Parallel Grid-based Colocation Mining Algorithms on GPUs for Big Spatial Event Data" was accepted to IEEE Transactions on Big Data (TBD)!
- [PC] 08/26/2018: Dr. Zhe Jiang was invited to serve in the program committee for AAAI 2019.
- [Paper] 08/13/2018: Our paper "A Survey on Spatial Prediction Methods" was accepted to IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE)!
- [Talk] 06/26/2018: Dr. Zhe Jiang gave an invited talk in the US Geological Survey Center of Excellence of Geospatial Information Science at Rolla MS.
- [Paper] 05/07/2018: Our paper "Geographical Hidden Markov Tree for Flood Extent Mapping" was accepted to the research track of ACM SIGKDD 2018 for long presentation!
"Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how you dance in the rain!"